by Beth Fore
in the morning with
your unfailing love, that
we may sing for joy and be glad
all our days. Make us glad for as
many days as you have afflicted us,
for as many years as we have seen
trouble. May your deeds be shown
to your servants, your splendor to
their children. May the favor of
the Lord our God rest upon us;
establish the work of our
hands for us—yes,
establish the work
of our hands.”
(Psalm 90:14-17 NIV)
Joy Comes in the Morning
In the darkness|
of the bleakest night,
sorrow and suffering
obscure Your light.
Minutes are like days
and time stands still;
wounds are exposed
and pain is real.
seem like reality,
distorting our perspective,
making it hard to see.
But the morning sun,
brings joy and delight,
as Your love warms us
and restores our sight.
We feel Your presence
in the sun’s rays.
You show us compassion
and bring joy to our days.
Give us unfailing hope
in the darkest night,
knowing joy will come
in the morning light.
by Beth Fore
*Christians will experience suffering and pain and persecution and afflictions as part of their everyday lives; as the Bible says, “it rains on the both the just and the unjust.” This prayer in Psalm 90 asks God to “satisfy us in the morning with his unfailing love,” so that we will experience joy in our lives, as well.
“Satisfy us in the morning with your unfailing love, that we may sing for joy and be glad for us.” (Psalm 90:14 NIV)
Sometimes, it seems as though there is little joy and happiness in our lives. As human beings, we get sick, we make major mistakes, we lose friends and positions and possessions; and evil surrounds us in this dark world. If a person feels this heaviness of life most of the time, life can seem very oppressive and overpowering.
People need to know that God loves them and cares for them and wants them to experience life to the fullest. So, when the sun (Son) appears after a blizzard or tumultuous storm, there is light, and joy, and hope. As Christians, we need to spend the majority of our time focusing on the good things in life, which bring us joy and thankfulness. God blesses us so greatly, even in the bad times, and He desires that we come to Him with a grateful, thankful heart. So, while you endure the torrential storms of life that will happen to you, remember that there is a beautiful rainbow after the storm, a reminder of God’s love and covenant to us, his people!
- There are people who think that believing in God will lead only to prosperity and goodness. Do you agree with them (sometimes)? If you were discussing this topic with someone who believed this way, what would you say?
- Do you believe that “joy comes in the morning?”
- In Psalm 90, the psalmist says, “May the favor of the Lord our God rest upon us.” Why, or why not, would you feel comfortable praying this statement?
- Why is it essential that a Christian understands that all people, including Christians, must face pain and suffering and hardships, as well as goodness, blessings, and prosperity?
- What do you think the psalmist means by the statement, God will “establish the work of our hands for us?” Do you think this is true in your life?
If you want to learn more about what it means to be a Christian or to become a Christian, click this link: https://woww.newlifebehavior.org/what-it-means-to-follow-jesus-how-to-become-a-christian/